Thursday 30 July 2009

kolo goes to city

So, officially, Kolo has left Arsenal and joined Manchester City which hasn't come as much of a surprise. Like the Adebayor deal, it was all signed and sealed very quickly, with both clubs in agreement about the price, and the players eager to leave.

Unlike the Adebayor deal though, this transfer has left me feeling...unsettled, is the best way I can describe it. Whereas I was glad to see Ade go, I am troubled that Toure has decided to leave. Maybe it's to do with character (Adebayor being horrendously lazy towards the end of his tenure, whereas toure always gave 100%), but I guess it's more to do with the perceived strength in their relative areas of the pitch.

Up front, we have Van Persie, Eduardo, Walcott, Bendtner, Vela to choose from, and we also have attacking options in midfield. So losing Adebayor, although weakening us, doesn't feel like quite as bad a blow. In defence, I don't think we have quite the embaressment of riches of our attacking force, and by selling Toure we have made ourselves even weaker in that department. This is compounded by the fact that Arsene Wenger doesn't appear to be on the lookout for someone else.

Vermaelen may be a better player than Toure, but buying one and selling one still leaves us in the same position we were in last season: worse, if you are that way inclined in your opinion about Senderos (who has returned to the club after his sojourn at Milan).

Ideally, I would like to see another defender come in to the squad, and another defensively-minded midfielder, as I think that those are the two areas of the squad which are the weakest. I guess we'll see once the season starts whether Wenger is right to trust in the players we currently have.

No comments:

Post a Comment